Southland Adventuring, Video Projects, New Media Musings & Web Ephemera

Monday, September 29, 2008

One of those bloggers who blogs about blogging...

is one of my new favorite phrases. I said it earnestly to a friend at a meetup recently in regards to a speaker. It was only after the phrase had left my mouth that it struck me as funny. In New Media you read alot of these blogs. They're great, really. Such and such web pro imbues the up-and comers with wisdom to succeed in the web video sector. Thanks dude. But from what I can tell, success means having a lucrative blog instructing others on how to make money. It's like their videos are advertisements for their how-to content.

As a person with a blog I spend a decent amount of time thinking about what to write about. It's tempting to weigh in on the web business I follow so closely... I read all the blogs, I go to the meetups, I'm active in the community, then I realize- I have no business worrying about it. Whenever I spend too much thought on monetization, I get depressed, and there are people much smarter than me figuring that mess out. It's a losing game right now, we all know it, I'm ok with it. I don't care.

I didn't move out here to learn how to monetize web video. Being in new media means no one can tell you "no". As soon as you start worrying about monetization, "no" becomes the most obvious answer. So I'm not going to sweat it. I'm going to have a day job - just like every one else, and I'm going to continue blowing my disposable income on silly costumes and craft services. Someday, I wont, and that will be great. Until then, I'm not going to look for another reason not to do what I love.

No comments: